YouTube, the world’s leading video-sharing platform, has witnessed countless videos going viral and amassing billions of views. From catchy children’s songs to iconic pop hits, the content that captures the audience’s attention and garnered the most views is mostly comprised of music clips and kid-friendly content.
This article provides a comprehensive look at the top 30 most viewed YouTube videos as of September 2023.
The Most Viewed YouTube Videos as of September 2023
The latest data available as of writing this article is from September 2023. For a simple table of contents click here. If you like this list you might also be interested in the ‘most subscribed music artists on YouTube‘.
1. “Baby Shark Dance” – 13.4 Billion Views
Pinkfong’s “Baby Shark Dance” is not just a song; it’s a cultural phenomenon that has led to countless renditions and dance challenges worldwide. Here’s an article by the Daily Mail for more information on this cult ‘hit’.
2. “Despacito” – 8.3 Billion Views
Luis Fonsi’s “Despacito” is a Latin pop sensation that has transcended borders, becoming a dance favorite in clubs and parties globally. The difference between first and second place in terms of YouTube Views is a whole 5 billion views.
This goes to show how impressive Baby Shark really is, still Louis Fonsi is almost as impressive sitting at a comfortable 8.3 Billion views.
3. “Johny Johny Yes Papa” – 6.8 Billion Views
LooLoo Kids‘ “Johny Johny Yes Papa” is a testament to the timeless appeal of simple, catchy nursery rhymes that resonate with children.
4. “Bath Song” – 6.4 Billion Views
Cocomelon’s “Bath Song” has made bath time more fun for kids, with its engaging visuals and memorable tune. If your kids are getting addicted to Cocomelon, don’t worry and just head over to our article about ‘the best alternatives to Cocomelon on YouTube.‘
5. “Shape of You” – 6.08 Billion Views
6. “See You Again” – 6 Billion Views
Wiz Khalifa’s “See You Again” is a heartfelt tribute that has touched many, becoming an anthem of remembrance and hope.
7. “Wheels on the Bus” – 5.5 Billion Views
Cocomelon’s rendition of “Wheels on the Bus” brings a fresh twist to a classic, making it a favorite among young viewers.
8. “Phonics Song with Two Words” – 5.4 Billion Views
ChuChu TV’s “Phonics Song with Two Words” has been instrumental in teaching phonics to kids, making learning fun and interactive.
9. “Uptown Funk” – 5 Billion Views
Mark Ronson’s “Uptown Funk” is a groovy track that has inspired countless dance routines and remains a party favorite.
10. “Learning Colors – Colorful Eggs on a Farm” – 5 Billion Views
Miroshka TV’s educational video has made learning colors an exciting adventure for kids, using vibrant visuals.
11. “Gangnam Style” – 4.9 Billion Views
Psy’s “Gangnam Style” introduced the world to K-pop in a big way, with its iconic dance moves and catchy beat. This was also the first ever video to surpass 1 billion views on YouTube.
12. “Masha and the Bear – Recipe for Disaster” – 4.5 Billion Views
This episode of Masha and the Bear, a popular childrens’ TV show from Russia, showcases the playful adventures of Masha, making it a hit among young audiences.
13. “Dame Tu Cosita” – 4.4 Billion Views
Ultra Records‘ “Dame Tu Cosita” became a viral dance challenge, with its catchy rhythm and iconic green alien.
14. “Axel F” – 4 Billion Views
Crazy Frog’s “Axel F” is a nostalgic hit that introduced a quirky character that became instantly recognizable.
15. “Sugar” – 3.9 Billion Views
Maroon 5‘s “Sugar” is known for its heartwarming music video, where the band surprises real-life weddings.
16. “Counting Stars” – 3.8 Billion Views
OneRepublic‘s “Counting Stars” is an introspective song that has resonated with listeners, offering a blend of meaningful lyrics and a catchy tune.
17. “Roar” – 3.8 Billion Views
Katy Perry‘s “Roar” is an anthem of empowerment, inspiring listeners to find their voice and strength.
18. “Baa Baa Black Sheep” – 3.7 Billion Views
Cocomelon‘s version of “Baa Baa Black Sheep” brings a modern touch to a classic nursery rhyme, enchanting young viewers.
19. “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)” – 3.7 Billion Views
Shakira‘s “Waka Waka” became the soundtrack of the World Cup, uniting fans with its upbeat rhythm and message.
20. “Sorry” – 3.7 Billion Views
Justin Bieber‘s “Sorry” showcases his evolution as an artist, with its dance-worthy beat and apologetic lyrics.
21. “Lakdi Ki Kathi” – 3.7 Billion Views
Jingle Toons‘ “Lakdi Ki Kathi” is a beloved Indian children’s song that has been sung for generations, now reaching a global audience.
22. “Thinking Out Loud” – 3.6 Billion Views
Ed Sheeran‘s “Thinking Out Loud” is a timeless love song, celebrated for its heartfelt lyrics and soulful melody.
23. “Dark Horse” – 3.6 Billion Views
Katy Perry‘s “Dark Horse” offers a blend of pop and trap, creating a mesmerizing audio-visual experience.
24. “Humpty the train on a fruits ride” – 3.5 Billion Views
Kiddiestv‘s animated video teaches kids about fruits in an engaging manner, using the character of Humpty the train.
25. “Perfect” – 3.5 Billion Views
Ed Sheeran‘s “Perfect” captures the essence of love, with its romantic lyrics and serene melody.
26. “Faded” – 3.5 Billion Views
Alan Walker‘s “Faded” is an electronic masterpiece that has become an anthem for many, with its haunting vocals and beat.
27. “Let Her Go” – 3.5 Billion Views
Passenger’s “Let Her Go” touches on themes of love and loss, resonating deeply with listeners.
28. “Girls Like You” – 3.4 Billion Views
Maroon 5‘s “Girls Like You” celebrates women from all walks of life, with its inclusive music video and catchy chorus.
29. “Lean On” – 3.4 Billion Views
Major Lazer‘s “Lean On” is a global collaboration that blends electronic beats with cultural sounds, making it a dance favorite.
30. “Bailando” – 3.4 Billion Views
Enrique Iglesias‘ “Bailando” is a Latin hit that has set dance floors on fire, with its infectious rhythm and passionate lyrics.
1. Which channel has the most top-viewed videos on YouTube?
2. What kind of content is the most watched on YouTube?
Based on the current top 30 most viewed YouTube videos, music videos and children’s songs dominate the list. These genres are inherently repeatable and tend to resonate with a wide audience, contributing to their high view counts.
3. Why do music videos and children’s songs have so many views?
Music videos and children’s songs often have high view counts due to their universal appeal. Music is a powerful force that can evoke emotions and create a sense of connection among viewers.
Children’s songs, on the other hand, cater to a young and curious audience that finds joy and educational value in these entertaining videos. Additionally, these kinds of videos have the most replay value and are often played on repeat in public establishments, private homes, and ipads in the hands of ipad babies.
4. Why is Axel F so popular?
Axel F gained popularity thanks to its catchy melody and vibrant character, Crazy Frog. The song’s nostalgic and lighthearted nature resonated with viewers, leading to its widespread viral success.
5. How can I find new YouTube content to watch?
6. How precise are the view counts?
The view counts provided in this article are rounded to the nearest decimal for ease of understanding. Please note that the actual view counts may differ slightly due to constant updates and fluctuations in video popularity on YouTube.